Career option as a youtuber

Home Forums Youtube Discussions Career option as a youtuber

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  djdaniel2020 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

daryl
    Keymaster

I know most of you are small Youtubers with many that have less than 1k subscribers.  Do you want to turn making videos into a career option?  Do you think it  is possible for yourself?

SamuraiGekko
    Participant

Yes, I do think it is possible, it just takes a lot of time and effort. So if you arent willing to put in the time and effort or even creativity then you will not be successful.

djdaniel2020
    Participant

I think its possible, but there’s a lot of road blocks as well. For one, many make the bad assumption that having an audience and traffic automatically equates to making money, it definitely does not. There’s YouTuber’s who have a million subs who’ve ended up homeless in the street, so a career on YouTube is not as cut and dry as people think. (There’s a way around this, and I will explain)

Once you take into consideration years of falling ad rates, the explosive growth of ad blockers, and the fact the YouTube platform is beyond over saturated, and its easy to see what obstacles lay ahead.

But I’ve learned a thing or two from working in the IT industry for a decade, and I definitely didn’t get my start on YouTube. I have brands with communities and pages on Google+ with over a half million members and followers. I spent years growing those brands, and at a total loss. My hope was that eventually Google will open the doors to monetization there as well, or I could use the audiences and brands I built to help grow other business ideas.

But the bad news, it seems each social platform is certain users who prefer those platforms over others. In the case of Google+, I’ve managed to get my followers and community members to engage with my videos, but they wont hangout on YouTube. Same situation with Twitter. My gaming brand Gamers Bay has roughly 10,000 followers on Twitter, they will not click thru to YouTube, its a rare event.

So, the question remains, how do you make money on YouTube? Well, if your focus is only on sub counts and views, you’re not going to make it, regardless of how big you grow. You need revenue, and here’s where the average YouTuber screws themselves, they don’t understand how ads are served, and so they end up losing out on on tons of ad revenue they could have had.

Here’s the deal, advertisers typically bid on keywords, as well as certain audience demographics (age, country/location, interest, etc). If you don’t have the corresponding keywords associated with the advertisers targeting, you end up getting the sloppy seconds, and you make no money as a result.

Now, the advertising market place is essentially an auction, so the more advertisers who bid for keyword placement, the higher the overall cost to advertisers for those keywords will be. If you have the corresponding keywords and your content looks to be relevant to Google, advertisers will serve their ads on your videos first. Relevance is what matters here.

If you don’t target keywords, then your videos will only get the ads from marketers who target wider audiences or all audiences, and the bids for placement on your videos will be ultra low.

This is why its a super bad idea to make videos and never include a description. Rich from Review Tech makes video after video and puts nothing in his description boxes for his videos other than a worthless affiliate link. So, he makes practically nothing for views, and has likely lost millions of dollars in ad revenue.

Then there’s SEO, and if you don’t know it, its the same scenario as the ads, you will lose and make no money. Worse yet, many YouTubers not only don’t understand proper search engine optimization, but they end up breaking Google’s guidelines for the ways in which they promote their content, and often up with their accounts suspended, and or terminated.

Often its people spamming communities on Google+, keyword spamming their videos, or spamming on other sites. It makes no difference, if you spam, you lose. I’ve watched Google suspend and or terminate thousands of YouTube and Google+ accounts over the last 5 years for spamming alone.

Because I operate some fairly large communities on G+, I’m often the one enforcing the rules. My mods try and warn people what the rules are, but many people are ignorant and refuse to listen. I saw over 250 members of just one of my gaming communities on G+ get terminated in less than 2 month in Jan and Feb of 2017. They all got terminated for spamming communities. Yet, we warned these people what the rules were, and they refused to listen. It used to be that Google would only suspend or terminate G+ user accounts if a mod reported them, but as of the beginning of 2017 thats no longer the case. We never reported or banned people just for posting in multiple communities, because we didn’t want to hurt people’s accounts.

All being said, there’s no magic buck on the web, much less on YouTube, and its honestly a losing battle as best. But if people want to make it work, then they need to learn SEO, how the web works from a technical standpoint, how advertising on the web works, and not half-fast their work. Even then, there are no guarantees.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.